Lost Instincts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A site dedicated to text based roleplaying. We have a great number of features to share. Choose one of the many different forums and help our community weave intricate stories and access our creativity.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» This is getting ridiculous....
Role Playing Education Thread EmptySun Aug 31, 2008 1:50 am by Asta

» "Satans Bride, Brothel and inn"
Role Playing Education Thread EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 3:34 pm by Mase58

» The dark elves of Syn.
Role Playing Education Thread EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 10:48 pm by Asta

» Welcome to the New world.
Role Playing Education Thread EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 8:24 am by Mono Ocular

» Music playlist
Role Playing Education Thread EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 4:35 am by Mase58

» RE: Playlists
Role Playing Education Thread EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 2:42 pm by Druos

» Dark Destiny
Role Playing Education Thread EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 5:02 pm by BlessedTrinity

» Vampiric Tavern/ Bar. (The Catacombs)
Role Playing Education Thread EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 4:52 pm by BlessedTrinity

» Early 1990 small island of the coast of Florida
Role Playing Education Thread EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 10:49 pm by Elizabeth Kale

Top posters
Drezlin
Role Playing Education Thread I_vote_lcapRole Playing Education Thread I_voting_barRole Playing Education Thread I_vote_rcap 
Elizabeth Kale
Role Playing Education Thread I_vote_lcapRole Playing Education Thread I_voting_barRole Playing Education Thread I_vote_rcap 
Druos
Chaotic
Mono Ocular
BlessedTrinity
Pagono Daimonas
Viper LeGre
ShadowVamp KV
Asta
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Lost Instincts on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Lost Instincts on your social bookmarking website

Role Playing Education Thread

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Drezlin
Administrator
Drezlin

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Role Playing Education Thread Empty
PostSubject: Role Playing Education Thread   Role Playing Education Thread EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 7:34 pm

This thread, as stated above is to help educate, or put more aptly, to help and inform people on the 'art' of role playing.

1 . What makes a good role play experience ?

2. What makes a bad role play experience ?

3. Tips for your Character development.

4. General advice.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- 1 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

We believe ( Me and the creator of our wonderful site) that a good role play is defined by several distinct traits.
They are, Character depth, Plot depth, and orginality of materiel therein.
A good story line which people participate in is priceless. So be active, but not intrusive.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- 2 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

We also believe that a bad role play consists of the following. Cliche`s (ie roleplaying as van helsing, Lestat... You get the picture.)
shallow plots, whimsical or unsteady Character personality. Or simply generic personalities.

We have all seen them. The cocky and arrogant vampire hunter, the insane and unstable female. Razz No pun intended...
Or the people who act so mysterious that you simply say to your self "Discovering this person's personality is not worth the time, effort, or patience." Please don't be like that... Sad

Far to often people project their personal beliefs and habits into a role play... Which is wierd, because then you're just being yourself after all O.o Try to find a personality, and stick with it, it can be extreme, or simply different. But when every rolplay you participate in looks the same as the last, you have a problem.

And then we have the lame plot syndrome. There is no excuse for this. Everything need not be degraded to simple lust, or fighting. The art of role playing is an excercise in imagination. Not many people use theirs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------- 3 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now we get to the good part, tips to help you out. We throw words like "Original" and "eccentric" around a lot, but they are hard things to come by in this day age. We understand that all to well. Which is why we strongly recomend that you develop plausible characters with depth. A story told a hundred times can still be good if it is told to the audience right. Give them passions, dreams, hopes and fears. But please, I say again, do not make them behave like you. Not that we don't like you... it's just that is this role is playing. Not 'You' playing.
We understand that your characters will all share similarities, that is fine. But do what you can.

Instead of thinking up an elaborate plot with amzing twists and turns, just set up a scenario and let the story unfold. Using what you already know of character to guide you along the way. Let the story flow, and it will be more gratifying to watch it unfold and develop itself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------- 4 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some quick, general advice.

Try and relax, when you role play with an agenda, it shows. If someone has set up a rich scenario in which you are roleplaying, try to stay within the bounds of that scenario. In other words, respect the source. We are putting our creativity out there, but not to be destroyed. So please don't go off on your own little adventures when in someone else's roleplay.

Role playing is all about imagination, use yours, you might be surprised at what it can come up with. This is the most vital tool to role playing, and at times it seems the least used. I can not stress this point enough, as you can no doubt tell.

Don't be to random ! Some times people create a character that is so extreme, you just don't have a clue what they are on about.

Have fun ! And feel free to ask for advice. Ask questions too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Role Playing Education Thread   Role Playing Education Thread EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 5:43 pm

woahwoahwoahwoahhh.....are you saying that acting insane is bad? I BEG to differ..

Me too..
Back to top Go down
Drezlin
Administrator
Drezlin

PostSubject: Re: Role Playing Education Thread   Role Playing Education Thread EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 9:19 pm

We most certainly do not say that. Acting to insane for the circumstances, or insane when it's out of context is bad.
Back to top Go down
Elizabeth Kale
Elizabeth Kale

Number of posts : 111

PostSubject: Re: Role Playing Education Thread   Role Playing Education Thread EmptySat Aug 09, 2008 11:50 am

*sigh* you forgot the part where you make enemys with people because that person is roleplaying with someone you assume to be your partner...when they are really not...
and make a big deal of it..

sorry this was a useless rant. feel free to delete lol.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vampirefreaks.com/u/RayneRiot
Druos
Administrator
Druos

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2008-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Role Playing Education Thread   Role Playing Education Thread EmptySat Aug 09, 2008 12:41 pm

Yeah, but I think that's over now. And all I really have to say about it is nothing of regret. Thank God.
Back to top Go down
https://lost-instincts.rpg-board.net
Asta

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Role Playing Education Thread   Role Playing Education Thread EmptySat Aug 09, 2008 1:42 pm

I probably didn't help with that whatsoever.
But oh well.
Back to top Go down
Druos
Administrator
Druos

PostSubject: Re: Role Playing Education Thread   Role Playing Education Thread EmptySat Aug 09, 2008 1:52 pm

We tried to help for two weeks. That's what this thread os for, so people can get better. They ignored it. If they're going to ignore their obligations to the community, then they don't need to be a part of it. One of those obligations is contribution, and all they contributed were cliche`s and complaints. No one ever wants to admit they've done something wrong.
Back to top Go down
Drezlin
Administrator
Drezlin

PostSubject: Re: Role Playing Education Thread   Role Playing Education Thread EmptySat Aug 09, 2008 6:11 pm

I for one am eternaly grateful for velvets abcense. She was a melodramitc whore with no style or writing abilitys. Dark and tiruen were more capable roleplayers, but evidentaly just as inept. I think we are better off for it now we can move on !
Back to top Go down
Elizabeth Kale
Elizabeth Kale

PostSubject: Re: Role Playing Education Thread   Role Playing Education Thread EmptySat Aug 09, 2008 7:39 pm

I feel slightly better, lol even if it does sound mean, as for good news i may have just interested more people in this sight. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Drezlin
Administrator
Drezlin

PostSubject: Re: Role Playing Education Thread   Role Playing Education Thread EmptySat Aug 09, 2008 11:24 pm

To bad. Velvet was a roleplay slut. I am sorry if that insults you... But it's true. We got tired of her trying to get with all of the role players >.> Myself included.

If you want to play as roleplaying sluts, thats cool. Just start a thread that states what your doing.

How ever, we have rules, she had warnings, it was all for nothing.
Back to top Go down
Drezlin
Administrator
Drezlin

PostSubject: Re: Role Playing Education Thread   Role Playing Education Thread EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 12:42 am

Feud ? This is not such.

She broke the rules.

She was banned for breaking them.

The same will happen to you if you do so.
Back to top Go down
Drezlin
Administrator
Drezlin

PostSubject: Re: Role Playing Education Thread   Role Playing Education Thread EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 1:35 am

Grow up.
Back to top Go down
Druos
Administrator
Druos

PostSubject: Re: Role Playing Education Thread   Role Playing Education Thread EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 4:16 am

A tragedy, in all honesty. We did warn her, directly and indirectly. Why don't you ask her about the conduct reminder? But anyway, even if we did make a terrible decision, there isn't any going back unless she changes her ip, but from the looks of it she doesn't want to come back. Oh well. Can we return this thread to its purpose please?
Back to top Go down
Elizabeth Kale
Elizabeth Kale

PostSubject: Re: Role Playing Education Thread   Role Playing Education Thread EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 7:57 pm

Indeed.
Back to top Go down
Mono Ocular

Mono Ocular

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Role Playing Education Thread   Role Playing Education Thread EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 3:30 pm

So... I'm not quite clear one this.... But when the text is a different color and it seems like someone is staying something, is that telepathy? Speaking with minds, or is it actual verbal dialogue... Or a mixture of the two?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/c_a_s_3_4_6
Drezlin
Administrator
Drezlin

PostSubject: Re: Role Playing Education Thread   Role Playing Education Thread EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 5:51 pm

I use it for both.

I will state how I am speaking to some one before I use the red text to seperate dialog from the story.
Back to top Go down
Mono Ocular

Mono Ocular

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Role Playing Education Thread   Role Playing Education Thread EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 11:45 am

Oh! Alrigh, thankyou for the clarification! :]
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/c_a_s_3_4_6
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Role Playing Education Thread   Role Playing Education Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Role Playing Education Thread
Page 1 of 1